Thursday, September 25, 2014

BONGO

Everyone reeled in laughter as Emeka shared with other teachers his childhood experience as regards the lesson and how a person handles abundance and loss.

‘As a growing teen back in the 80’s, my dad used to buy me lots of trouser materials which I used to make the trending pants, ‘Bongo’. At one point, I had close to 17 of such trousers amongst other clothes in my collection. I didn't fail to show-off, not just when I dressed up, but on weekends. I’d wash the 17 Bongos, iron and array all of them on the rope in front of our house. This went on every week.

One fateful Sunday morning, I woke up to discover (in shock and dismay) that all my precious ‘Bongos’ gone. The thief took all except my school uniform. I eventually had to wear my school uniform to church (for lack of anything else). After the incident, my father tried to gradually replace my clothes, however it was never the same but I moved on.’

Back then Emeka was ‘rich’ in his own way, lost all and survived with a mindset not to hold-on to anything. Today, he’s got series of recorded losses in business and otherwise, however he’s not shaken by such. Why? Because he believes he’ll succeed with God in his life and the resources God continues to place in his hand as a Christian.
o

Drawing from the ‘Bongo’ experience, our lesson today reflects on biblical principles concerning financial issues, our reliance on God for daily needs and the need to trust God with our money and lives. This principles are drawn from Proverbs 3:9-10; Prov. 11:16,24,25 ;  Prov. 13:11 ; Prov. 22:7; Matthew 6:19-24 ; Luke 16: 1-12; 2 Corinthians 9: 6-11

As Christians, we need to evaluate where we are with money matters. Have we been making decisions based on our bank accounts rather on God’s will and direction? If so, we can ask God to help us make Him our master.

One of the tools we can use to help us use money in a way that honours God is a budget. If you already use a budget, make sure tithing is part of that budget. Ask God to help you develop a God honouring budget that will help you become financially free so you can use what God provides to advance His kingdom and care for your family.


You are blessed to be a ‘Blessing’; do don’t fail in this heavenly responsibility while holding on to anything (money, asset, resources, goodwill etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment