Sunday, August 11, 2013

HEAVEN and HELL


I met a friend who told me he is scared and worried with the way his faith in running this Christian race is dwindling. So he began to narrate how he read and listened to testimonies of people who died and were given a second chance to come back to life, and some that even had experience and visions of HEAVEN and HELL. He continued; the Intricacy of the matter is that some of these people often end up in saying that outstanding ministers that were seen to be God’s general, while they were alive didn't make it to Heaven after death. When I heard this, I just said to myself that I’m doomed.

In our “what’s in it for me” culture, it’s often hard to convey the principle of commitment to anything. Unfortunately, this difficulty sometimes extends to the church. The trend among many Christians is to view their faith in terms of getting blessings from the Lord rather than taking on the responsibilities that come from being children of God and heirs of His Kingdom. A Song writer wrote;
I want to scale the utmost height  
And catch a gleam of glory bright
But still I’ll pray till heav’n I've found,
“Lord Plant my feet on higher ground.”
 There is now therefore, an increased importance for us to conform to the ways and standards of Jesus, our Lord and King.
 To further emphasize the point, the bible in John 12:26 says If anyone serves Me, he must continue to follow Me [to cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying] and wherever I am, there will My servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him. (AMP). Colossians 1:9-14 also confirmed this.

 
My friend made the gravest mistake by looking up to men’s standard rather than godly standard. Mind you, you can still follow godly standards and unbelievers see Christ in you and follow as well. We must not become complacent in our work with the Lord. When non-believers look at our lives, they should see a difference in us, a difference that comes from Christ living in us. Let us follow God’s ways so those outside of Christ’s Kingdom can see something that challenges the way they live their lives. Let our desire be for the Lord to use us to affect the lives of those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment